Salt Dough Ornament

I decided to make myself and the grandparents an ornament for Christmas. It was kind of a pain and long process but so worth it. I say it was a pain because someone kept poking holes in the dough with his tiny fingers. Precious, tiny holes. To make these ornaments you will need:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
Paint (optional)
Something to cut circles out with (I used a candy jar lid)
Ribbon
Paint brush for poking holes 
Mix the flour and salt in a bowl. Add a little water at a time. You don't want to use the whole 1/2 cup because you may not need it all. I used about a 1/4 cup. The consistency should be slightly sticky but not too sticky that it  sticks to your hands. 
Roll out the dough to your desired thickness. 
Cut out circles and design how you see fit. I used Danger's hand prints. 
Use the wooden end of a paint brush to poke a hole in the top of your ornament. 
Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and bake at 200 degrees for 3-4 hours. I made some of mine pretty thick so I let them bake the entire 4 hours. 
I painted mine and then just added the ribbon to hang it on the tree. 
I chose silver and gold so I could use it with each theme I have every year. 
Until next time. 

Comments